‘Thai Tofu-Bean Burger’ and Fasting…
I’ve been experimenting with intermittent fasting for its health benefits. It’s not easy however I’ve been adding an hour each week and am now at 27 hours. I do this every Tuesday and am now in week 6. I’ve realised fasting and doing it well is a mindset and getting over the habit of ‘thinking’ you need to eat when the hunger pangs appear.
It’s a good discipline and I have remembered what it feels like to be hungry again. When my tummy grumbles I either drink a glass of water or wait for the hunger to pass which it does after a few minutes. My problem is more that I LOVE food and can eat a lot of it.
Fasting is allowing me to be a little more mindful of eating and I certainly appreciate it more. At the end of the fast I like to ensure I eat a meal that is full of goodness. These ‘Thai Tofu Bean Burgers’ were an absolute treat after my 27 hours fast. Nutrient dense and absolutely delicious. The perfect beginning to returning to my normal eating.
- One uncooked beetroot (tennis ball size) – peeled
- One red onion
- One medium carrot
- 300g silken tofu (drained)
- 1 tin black beans (drained)
- 2 tbsp thai spice seasoning
- 1 tbsp marjoram
- 1 egg
- 50g almond flour
- 50g hemp seed
- Salt to season
- Preheat oven at 200 degrees
- In a food processor shred onion, carrot and beetroot. Place in a large bowl.
- Add silken tofu and black beans into food processor and blend until a rough/smooth consistency
- Add tofu/bean mixture in with carrot, beetroot and onion
- Add all other ingredients – egg, thai spice, marjoram, almond flour, hemp seed and salt
- Leave the mixture to stand for an hour
- Place baking paper onto a oven-proof tray. The mixture will be quite wet. Using two tablespoons scoop out a tennis ball size of mixture.
- Place it on the baking tray and push down to form a patty shape. Don’t worry too much if the edges are rough. They will simply crisp up whilst cooking.Place in the oven, baking for 30-40 minutes or until the outside dries. You will need to turn the patties after 20 mins so they cook on both sides.
These will keep for a few days or you can freeze them.
I served these with half an avocado, spinach and my homemade sauce which consisted of a tablespoon of houmous mixed in with balsamic vinegar.