Overnight Tropical Porridge
This was one of those things I just created from nowhere. I just felt like making something that felt summery and comforting. It was absolutely delicious and the perfect meal after a hardcore session at CrossFit. It was super filling and tasted so nutritious and well a tropical sensation.
For one person:
• 30g jumbo oats
• 30g buckwheat
• 60g frozen pineapple
• 5g fresh ginger
• ½ tsp cinnamon
• ½ coconut flakes
• 1 tsp crunchy peanut butter
• 30g plant-based vanilla protein powder (optional)
• 1 tsp honey (optional to sweeten)
• Boiling water
• Unsweetened almond milk (according to consistency preference)
• 1 kiwi (peeled and chopped)
The night before:
- Rinse buckwheat in cold water
- Place oats, buckwheat, coconut flakes, peanut butter, ginger, cinnamon in a container and cover with boiling water (about 2mm above the surface). Leave to stand for 5 mins.
- Add in frozen pineapple and protein powder (advisable if this is a post-workout meal). If you add in protein powder it’s very likely the mixture will dry so use unsweetened almond milk to whet the mixture until you have your preferred consistency.
- Place the porridge mix into the fridge and leave overnight.
- If you don’t use protein powder then you can simply put the mixture into the fridge without almond milk unless it dries up too much.
In the morning:
- Taste the porridge. Add honey if it isn’t sweet enough but simply drizzle.
- You can either eat the porridge cold. I prefer warming it for 2 mins in the microwave. Again you may find the mix dries out so simply add more hot water or almond milk.
- Top the porridge with your kiwi. You might also like to add a dollop of greek yoghurt.