Red Velvet Savoury Bake
With so many people choosing to be veggy or vegan, catering to all food preferences at Christmas can be quite stressful.
Fear not! I have got you covered with my ‘Red Velvet Savoury Bake’ which all your guests can enjoy. It looks pretty festive too with its rich red colour but don’t worry, there’s not a sniff of food colouring, just the rich colour of beetroot. Here I served with roasted veg, cranberry sauce and a dollop of houmous. However on Christmas day it can be served with all the trimmings (except for the bird in some instances).
Red Velvet Savoury Bake Ingredients:
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 150g fresh beetroot (shredded)
- 150g carrot (shredded)
- 30g oats
- 1 red onion (finely chopped)
- 1 pack of supermarket stuffing (I used Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference, Cranberry, Orange and Chestnut Stuffing)
- 1 tin chick peas (drained)
- 1 tin red kidney beans (drained)
- 1 heaped tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cinammon
- Boiling water (the amount recommended for the stuffing mix plus 100ml)
- Salt, pepper to taste
- Preheat oven at 200 degrees
- Shred the carrot and beetroot
- In a pan melt the coconut oil
- Add in the red onion and sweat for a few minutes until starting to soften
- Add in carrot and beetroot and cook for another 2 minutes, until warmed through
- Stir in the stuffing mix, oats, garam masala and cinnamon
- Add the boiling water and keep stirring until the stuffing mix begins to soften
- Mix in the chick peas and kidney beans.
- Add salt and pepper if you feel necessary. You can taste as no meat.
- Grease a cake tin
- Place the mix into the cake tin and cook for approximately 25 mins or until the top has crisped and is firm to touch
- Leave to cool before removing from the cake tin sides
- And serve.