Roasted Pumpkin and Garlic Soup Recipe
Whilst pumpkins are great as Halloween decorations, did you know that they also contain fibre, potassium, and vitamin C which supports heart health. So before you destine your pumpkin for the bin how about making my delicious roasted pumpkin and garlic soup? Your body will thank you and that’ll be one less pumpkin being wasted like all the other millions that have been chucked out. Enjoy!
• 1 x pumpkin
• 1 x garlic bulb
• 1 x onion (chopped)
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 tbsp coconut oil
• 2 tsp garam masala
• 2 tsp cumin
• 2 tsp chilli (optional)
• 2 tsp cinnamon
• 1 litre boiling water/ chicken stock
• Handful of corriander
• Salt and pepper to season
How to make:
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees
2. Deseed and chop your pumpkin into chunks with the skin
3. Chop the top of your garlic bulb. This will make it easy to remove the garlic from their skin once cooked
4. Place pumpkin and garlic in an ovenproof dish. Pour over the olive oil and season with salt. Place in the oven and cook until they are soft and skin is darkened. I cooked for about an hour, turning twice.
5. Meanwhile in a pan melt coconut oil and add the onion. Cook until softened.
6. Add the spices. You will need to add some water to stop the mix onion from drying out
7. Remove garlic from their skin and place in the pan along with the pumpkin and coriander
8. Add your water. I had some homemade chicken stock which I used to enhance the flavour. You could add in a stock cube to add a little more flavour
9. Using a hand blender whizz up the mixture until it is smooth
10. Heat up the soup. It’s at this point you need to taste and season. I found I added more salt, chilli and garam masala to suit my tastebuds.