Protein Powered Chocolate Bulgarwheat Brekkie
I made this to have post run as it’s packed with protein to help with muscle recovery and carbohydrate to replenish glycogen stores (energy) in the muscles. As this keeps for a good few days, I tend to make a larger batch that I can dig into to save on time.
And you don’t have to use bulgarwheat, you can use oats instead. I just like bulgarwheat because it has a nutty, chewy texture which suits my pallette so my advice is experiment and see what suits you sir. Happy eating!
• 75g bulgarwheat (use oats as alternative)
(one portion – if you’re making for a few days then add appropriate amounts)
• one scoop vegan protein powder
• Boiling water (to cover bulgarwheat)
• 250ml almond milk
• 2 tbsp cocoa powder
• 1 tsp stevia or date sauce (recipe here)
• Pinch of salt
1) Weigh out the bulgarwheat/oats with 75g equalling one portion.
2) Add one scoop protein powder (my recommendation here)
2) Add additional ingredients – cocoa, stevia, salt (see additional options below)
2) Add boiling water to cover the dry mix and let it soak for about 5 mins to soften.
3) Cover with almond milk. You need the liquid to be about 1cm above the dry mix.
4) Put into the fridge overnight (at least 8 hours).
5) Once soaked, you can taste test and add more ingredients until it’s exactly how you like it.
You don’t have to use cocoa powder either. Perhaps add some vanilla extract to flavour.
– chopped dried fruit
– chopped nuts
– coconut flakes
– flaxseed mix
– vanilla extract or orange? or both?
– date sauce
– Orange, banana, raspberries
– grated ginger
– Greek yoghurt
This version simply had sprinkling of; coconut flakes, grated ginger; a tsp of Whole Earth Peanut butter and raspberries.
For this version I used oats, a handful of muesli, chopped nuts and mixed flax.