It’s official! I have a sweet tooth. Admitting it is the first step to alleviating an addiction right?
OK I am not about to cut out sugar…yes I know I am a Personal Trainer but there are some luxuries in life that aren’t worth excluding and sweet food is one of them.
That said I have been thinking about how I can add in sweetness to my food that brings with it lots of other health benefits.
And that’s when I discovered dates! Oh my lord I am addicted to these little power packed fellas. They come packed with calcium, sulfur iron, potassium, phosphorous, manganese, copper and magnesium. If that isn’t enough the fruit has moderate levels of B-complex group of vitamins as well as vitamin K. It contains very good amounts of pyridoxine (vitamin B-6), niacin, pantothenic acid, and riboflavin. Plus they are just soooooo sweet!
It’s these added ingredients that make them the perfect sweetener to your food because they are helping your body to be healthy and happy. So here’s my recipe for date sauce and quite frankly you can add it to anything and everything. Check out my other recipes that can happily enjoy a date dollop:
– Cottage Cheese Pancake
– Protein-powered Bulgarwheat Breakfast recipes.
• Dates (as many as you like)
• Boiling water
1) In a bowl add as many dates as you wish and then cover in boiling water.
2) Allow to soak so that the dates soften until water is cooled.
3) Remove half the water – DO NOT THROW AWAY
4) Place dates and remaining water into blender and blend.
5) Continue to add date infused water until you have a consistency you are happy with.
6) Now you can add this to your breakfasts, lunches and dinners, whatever tickles your fancy.
Just remember, don’t go too overboard with how much you consume. It is a sugar and so does have calories so like I say to my clients, ‘everything in moderation’.
Date inspired sauces
Ginger Date Sauce
– 1 tbs tahini
– 1 tbs date Sauce
– Grated ginger
Mix tahini and date sauce together. Add ginger to suit your taste buds.
I’ve had this with my Cottage Cheese Pancakes and most recently had a dollop on my Protein-powered Chocolate Buckwheat Brekkie. This will satisy the sweet tooth whilst nourishing your body. Happy eating!