This is a great snack to have post workout – even the dog wanted it. It’s all natural and gives a good balance of carbs, fats and protein. I used cacao powder so the bake has quite a bitterness to it which I love because I adore dark chocolate. If you’re less keen then halve the amount of cacao.
The bake is best consumed the day after you’ve baked it. This does require the making of the ginger/date sauce. It makes a big batch so you can store in the fridge and sweeten your desserts.
Ingredients for the date sauce:
• 100g stoned dates
• 10g finely grated fresh ginger
• Boiling water
How to make the ginger/date sauce:
1. Place the dates and ginger into a small bowl
2. Add boiling water so that the dates are covered.
3. Allow to stand for an hour or so to soften the dates
4. Blend in a food processor to a paste.
Ingredients for the Chocolate Ginger Bake
• 150g grated carrot
• 20g cacao powder (halve if you prefer less chocolatey flavour)
• 2 large eggs
• 3 tbsp almond flour
• 80g rolled oats
• 2-3 tbsp date and ginger sauce (3 gives it real sweetness)
• 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
• 1 tsp stevia
• 50g dates chopped into small pieces (optional)
• 1 tsp psyllium husk (optional)
• 1 large tsp baking powder
• milk/almond milk – added if mix is a little dry
1. Pre heat the oven at 200 degrees
2. Mix carrot, eggs and date/ginger sauce, grated ginger and chopped dates together
3. Add remaining ingredients other than the milk/almond milk
4. If the mix is dry add a little milk/almond milk. I added about 4 tbsp so that the mix was easy to stir
5. Line a loaf tin with baking sheet
6. Add in the mix and spread evenly in the tin
7. Bake in the oven for 15-20 mins or until the bake is springy to touch. I put a skewer through the middle of the bake. When it came out clean I knew it was baked.